From Albuquerque Airport and Santa Fe, New Mexico
From Albuquerque Airport:
- Exit the airport and merge onto I-25 going north to Santa Fe.
- You will stay on this road for about an hour.
- When nearing Santa Fe exit on the Santa Fe Relief Route (NM SR 599) and go around Santa Fe toward Española and Los Alamos.
- Continue with the directions below.
From Santa Fe:
- Take US 285 N/US-84 N towards Española.
- In Española, about a mile after the Dreamcatcher Theater (which you will see on your right), turn left (West) at the US 84 / 285 intersection (Santa Clara Bridge Rd)
- You will soon come to a T-Intersection: turn right (North).
- You will quickly come to another fork; turn left (Northwest) to stay on US 84 / 285.
- Stay on US 84 / 285 N for about a half an hour, or about 22.5 miles.
- You will see Bodes Gas Station on your right in Abiquiu, NM. Continue on US 84 / 285 N. (see photo below)
- After 6.5 miles, follow signs for Abiquiu Dam, turning left onto 96.
- After 4 miles of twisting road along the lake, you will cross a small bridge with a sign "Cañones Creek"; turn left immedaitely after the bridge onto 194.
- After 1.8 miles you will go over 2 speed humps. Continue on this road.
- 0.2 miles later, keep left at the fork.
- 0.7 miles after the fork, turn right onto 198, an unpaved dirt road. (You will see a small graveyard below you on your right).
- After about 0.2 miles, stay to the right as the road curves right (at the yellow "Children at Play" sign).
- Continue for 1.8 miles on the winding dirt road, past numerous homes, until you see on your right our first gate and Flagstone Sign: "Monasterio del Santo Arcángel Miguel". Open the gate (and close it behind you). Go straight at the fork at park behind the guest house.
If you go onto the breezeway and walk through you will see the back yard, continue on, step off the portal (porch) and follow the path and you will come to the foot bridge over the creek. Cross the bridge and walk up to the main house if no one is at the guest house.
We strongly suggest arriving before sundown as it can be very tricky to navigate in the dark.
Fuel Service & Grocery
The nearest gas station is about 20 to 30 minutes away, at Bode’s Store (see photo below.) They have groceries but are quite expensive. For serious shopping there are several grocery stores in Española. For directions please access the internet.
Cell Phone Service
We do not receive any cell phone service at the Monastery. If one drives to the entrance to the canyon it is said there is service for Verizon customers. If one drives back out of the canyon and over the dam towards Highway 84 (the route from whence you came), other providers are available. Of course, in case of emergency one can ask a blessing to use the Monastery land line.